Sunday 15 March 2015

The Road to Bleae

Destination: BLEAE AESCS AA-A H25.

This is a deep red nebula sitting high on the galactic plane, and it also happens to be a mere 300ly diversion from my route to the galactic core. I would have been a fool not to swing by this galactic wonder especially as it marks my first visit to a nebula. This is going to be more of a photographic journey than a wordy description.

Just under 1000ly from the nebula, it looks rather small and clearly visible above the galactic plane.


Throughout the day I stopped at a few systems on the way and my target was slowly growing in my canopy. During a detailed scan of a system some 200ly out I snapped this shot showing just how much larger the nebula is up close.

This is a Class II ringed gas giant, and you can just see nebula CROOKAAE AA-A H129 through the gap in the rings. I considered doing both, but that would be another 1000ly out of my way. Another time, maybe when I get back and want to take my Imperial Courier out for a spin...



I actually grabbed another shot here closer to the rings, such was the beauty of the location. Have to admit cracking open one of the fine beers I brought along for the journey. The mighty Empire may frown upon liquor, but I am a long way from the border...


Once I was close to the nebula, the views actually got much less spectacular. Within the cloud I could see very little of, well, anything. It was disorientating not being able to see much of the galaxy as I have been used to all my life. The glow of the core has been a constant in every system I have been in, every jump I make. Within the nebula this was no longer visible, apart from a small portion marking the clear space.

I have to admit, I did not want to venture all the way into the murky systems at the head of this nebula, maybe next time.

Further in and the nebulas the deep red colour was at it's most prominent. I explored one system specifically to find an angle to display this. There was no black here, it felt like they sky itself were on fire such was the intensity. Time to move on.


Finally I am out of the nebula and feeling much more comfortable being able to see again. I don't even want to know the toll that red dust had on my ship exterior. As I departed I dropped across a water world bathed in the red glow.


I am almost half way to the centre of the galaxy now. The beer is still cold. The food is still tasty and the coffee is still fresh. Despite her quirks and issues, and not forgetting how inappropriate she is for the exploration task, I am glad I chose to pilot a clipper on this quest.

Her name is Samantha Jayne. She is doing me proud.

Onwards!


Rikk, Signing Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment