Monday 23 March 2015

Sagittarius A*

Tonight I reached Sagittarius A*

I had been having difficulties with my navigation computer while plotting routes, and often it would lock me out completely. This did not bode well for the journey ahead, and it was with mild trepidation along with contained excitement that I powered up my frame shift drive for the first jump.

Despite my misgivings, those final 998 light years were smooth sailing, and it seemed like no time at all before I jumped into to a system about 2ly from Sagittarius A*. This was planned, rather than direct into the system I wanted to make sure my tanks were topped off before I entered, and also give myself some time to relax and recover from the journey.

At approximately 20:00 standard time I made the jump and for the first time I saw the majesty of Sagittarius A*

It's big. Very big.



I landed about 75 Ls from it, and my heat was at about 50%. On closing this to 60 Ls my heat started rising up towards 90% - naturally I spun around and gave the engines full power! Once the scrubbers had cleared the smoke from the cabin I decided to fly around the black hole.



The gravitational lensing effects are creepy, mind buggeringly creepy. Flying around the hole at about 90 Ls distance and the warping of space makes you feel like you are constantly being drawn closer. It has to be seen to be believed. Which is why I have some footage from that flight - you must excuse the quality - I'm not a natural at videography.




It was shortly after this that, much to my suprise, I found I was not alone at the core of the Galaxy. I had the pleasure of chatting to CMDR Lucek about our journey and where the stars will take us next. Fly safe Commander!

I am going to spend a little bit more time at Sag/A* for now, then the next journey will take me perpendicular to the galactic plane. Probably straight downwards, as there are a couple of galaxies in that direction I would like a clearer look at.

I set out to see the centre of our galaxy. It took a little longer than I planned but I made it. But now I'm out here, I am going further, my thirst for unseen stars and planets is far from quenched. My desire to push deeper into the unknown is growing.

My trusty Clipper has only taken a tiny amount of hull damage. My ships modules are all in reasonable condition. My repair units still have plenty of life in them. I have a good stock of coffee (Kitten Brand & Void Extract) and also a nice supply of Kongga Ale & Gueuze Beer. I may not agree with the Federation on many things, but they sure can brew their beer well.



On that note, time for another celebration.

Rikk, Signing off.



No comments:

Post a Comment