Monday 16 March 2015

BYUA AIM AA-A & Beyond

You may have noticed that since the camera drones became operational I've been somewhat obsessed with taking photos including my ship. I think it is a reflection on something that started in the early 21st Century known as a 'selfie' where one takes a photo of themselves at places they travel to.

My promise is that I will endeavour to take a 'non selfie' photograph for each post.

Today's travels have brought me to under 10k Ly from the galactic core, and took me through the BYUA AIM AA-A nebula. From a distance this nebula is a particularly dark and foreboding cloud as seen below.


It still looks pretty menacing from a couple of hundred light years out. I have visions of another dark journey through it's centre.


It is only when you are on approach that it starts to look noticeably thinner, giving the deep black more of a purple hue. Indeed by the time I was on the fringes of the cloud it was a little underwhelming. The stars inside were in very dense clusters with some less than a single light year apart

I took this shot on the far side of the nebula as I was leaving, it's splendour once again coming to light from the outside


As promised, here is the non selfie showing BYUA AIM AA-A in the distance


There is a second post coming in a few hours, as I have just experienced the most nerve wrecking moment of my exploration journey so far. Indeed it could be one of the most exciting since I took the controls of my Clipper.

For now, I'm going to see if I have bottle of single malt in stores. It was that good.

Intrigued, check back later!

Rikk, signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment