Sunday 29 March 2015

Galactic Deep

My euphoria of reaching Sagittarius A* has passed, and while deciding what to do next I plotted a course straight down. I have never been to the fringes of the galaxy and while the rim is a journey in itself, travelling on the vertical plane not so.

I am currently taking a steady trek and have so far made it approximately 2000ly below the core. The view is very different down here, no longer am I surrounded by the galaxy instead I am looking up at it. The stark contrast between deep unchartered empty space and the galaxy we call home is remarkable.

There are a lot of K & M class stars down here, with a number of metal rich world. More prominent is the galactic space on the right.


But there are still some stunning sights to behold. I dropped into this glorious misty ring system today to have another look at the asteroids. I'm getting more confident at plotting courses through the rings now and have nearly made the journey from one side to the other under normal power.


That was a pretty Class 1 gas giant too, with the misty rings.


The stars are getting further apart now. The nearest is currently 5Ly away and as I venture further down this will increase massively. I shall update again when I can venture no further.

Rikk, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment