Sunday 15 March 2015

New Discoveries

This thing about exploring is quite a lot of the stuff out there looks like quite a lot of the other stuff out there. The galaxy has a lot of stars, and a lot of the stars are M class of varies size and heat values. In the ~17000ly I have travelled so far I have been thankful of the M & K class stars as they are my primary fuel source, which is important considering I have to refuel every other jump to remain fuel safe!

Anyhow, I digress, as this entry is about the stuff that you don't see every day.

It started as I came out the other side of BLEAE AESCS nebula and my normal plotted route included a neutron star. Now I have seen these before, but I have never actually scanned one. A quick check around the map and I was able to pick out a Wolf-Rayet star along my route a further three jumps - now this was a first for me. The added bonus was a few clusters of ringed T-Tauri stars in orbit. Finally only 50ly from the Wolf-Rayet system I dropped across my first black hole.

This was a lot  to take in, so I did what any good explorer did, took pictures.

First up is the blisteringly bright Wolf-Rayet. I've since seen another one of these and they only seem marginally brighter than an O class star. Still, got the ship a bit warm looking at this beauty.


Next up is the black hole. They really are not that much to look at, the lensing effect of space is quite fascinating as you get close to it. Not a huge hole this one it still wanted to draw me in, I could feel the pull as I was taking this shot.


Finally I present the most spectacular view I think I have seen on the journey so far. Orbiting the Wolf-Rayet were 8 very young T-Tauri stars with their own vast sets of rings. They were truly a sight to behold. A star, with rings like this. I stayed here a while.


My journey is progressing well. Under 12000ly to Sagittarius A*
It's cold out here, there's no kind of atmosphere.
I'm all alone. More or less.


CMDR Rikk, missing populated space a little today, despite the wonders I have seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment