Tuesday 28 April 2015

Holes as Black as...

I don't know what is blacker than a black hole actually, or even as black as a black hole. Because make no mistake, they are pretty damn black.

After a recent journey through a thick neutron belt, I dropped across this rather pleasant hole that was a bit bigger than all of the others I had seen. Apart from Sagittarius A* - that one was a bigger. I digress, as promised in my last entry, here are the tales of me getting very close to a black hole.

You can just see the black hole here, along with some rather stunning gravitational lensing


What surprised me most is just how much black holes 'talk' to you. Once I was close enough I found myself utterly mystified as to the noised and sounds I was hearing.

It is indescribable, hence the video I promised.



It's only 4m 30s but here are a few 'skip points' should you need to view the best bits.

1m 45s - First close pass to see the lensing (and check heat!)
2m 45s - Drop from supercruise to have a real close look. You can hear the hole chattering and howling
3m 20s - Nice cinematic bit with Drone-Cam
4m 10s - Mind blowing gravity effects when supercruising out.

Honestly, I am fascinated by black holes now. I am making it my quest to journey from one to the next as I make my way to the base of the Sagittarius arm.

Last quick photo of me leaving the hole showing our mistress gravity in all her glory.


This is me saying goodbye to the dense field of neutron stars which so frequently threatened to pull me out of supercruise, ready to scorch my hull as a penalty for my inattention. Browsing the galaxy map for my next interesting find and I drop across this unusual beauty of a nebula nearly a thousand ly away - course laid in!

I travelled most of the way doing the bare minimum of stops in order to scoop fuel and check the maps. The stars I passed were left untouched as my curiosity pulled me closed to my destination.



Such a small nebula, I felt lucky to have even found it, as it clings onto a single neutron star. This image was made only just over 3ly from the anomaly, I'm going in, next entry will be posted when I am out the other side.

Rikk, signing out

No comments:

Post a Comment