Friday 10 April 2015

Spot the Sun

Today is a quick entry.

I am current tracking back up to the galactic plane, and heading towards what appears to be a dense cluster of neutron stars and black holes. I'm sure I will find some already discovered but the field is dense so I am hoping for some new finds here.

While I was plotting my route I noticed a particularly large star so took a small detour to take a look. Dropping out some 370ls from the main star, I did not expect to see a second star in a fairly close orbit to the first.

It is actually quite hard to spot head on (I'm pointing straight at it...)



So I moved around the edge somewhat in order to show this second star. As a comparison, this companion star is slightly smaller than Sol. Although based on where it currently lives I would imagine significantly hotter!



I have reached the edge of the non-sequence cluster so the next couple of posts will chart my journey through this field. It is only a minor diversion from my planned track but already feels very much like the forces of creation and destruction are hard at work here.

The primary gravitational object here is a black hole. I now know when I get back her stable mate will be getting a much darker paint job...


Cheeky last minute update. I have just set course for a carbon star, it will be the first I have ever seen!

Rikk, Signing out.


No comments:

Post a Comment