Sunday 19 April 2015

Herbig Ae/Be

In my travels I have now dropped across most star types, the only one that had eluded me was the Herbig Ae/Be.

Until yesterday, that is.

I dropped upon it entirely by surprise when I was on one of my short travel hops and I was absolutely floored by it's eerie beauty.


Here it doesn't look vastly different to any other star out there, slightly more mottled. But in a picture you don't get the sense of rotation. This crazy little star is spinning fast, really fast.

I recorded some footage showing just how fast.


It was really quite mesmerising.

But one must press on, and currently I am navigating the galaxy using Carbon or O class stars as waypoints. These are uncommon and often spaces quite a distance apart, so I pick one roughly en route to the Sagittarius arm and set a course.

I found this, and thought it would make a rather pretty photograph.


On departing from this system I set course for a promising landmark, another Herbig Ae/Be but this time joined by a pair of O class stars. I was quite apprehensive about the jump in, so decided to set the camera rolling as I entered hyperspace.


Turns out I had nothing to worry about. If you want to skip the jump in then 1:30 is the place to go, system map is at 00:35

I'm still exploring the neutron belt, heading slowly out to the Sagittarius arm. 27.3k Ly from Sol and increasing.

Rikk, signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment