Tuesday 23 June 2015

That First Docking Was Tricky

Not since I was a cadet flying a beat up old sidewinder have I followed a docking checklist. Two days ago I did exactly that.

I dropped out of supercruise some 9 kilometres from my first entry point back into the civilised world, Haldeman II Enterprise in HIP 101760. Being out in the black for so long, I forget how quickly I can close that gap, and how fast the station grows in my vision.

1. Shield engaged with full pips
2. Contact station and request docking permission
3. Slow down to under 100 m/s

Whut?! Blinked twice at this new entry in the docking procedures. Speed limits now? Anyway, I will quiz the station management another time. I lined up on the docking slot from approximately 3km out and slowed down.

4. Lower landing gear at 2km
6. Match station rotation

Right now 100m/s felt too fast. I've not been doing anything as accurate as docking for some time, gear down and throttle in the blue zone put me at a more agreeable 75 m/s as I passed through into the station. My pad straight ahead I did a final systems check and fired my landing thrusters.

Missing the centre of the pad by a fair margin. Twice.

On the third occasion I docked successfully. The journey is over.

I will leave one picture here


 I landed here as it is a high technology system that allowed me to refit my vessel for the final journey to Lembava where I sold my data. The journey is only 8 jumps, but reports suggested there would be heavy piracy in my destination system.

My Imperial Clipper can fight her way out of many a situation, but while loaded down with exploration data I decided I would use her party trick if interdicted. Nothing that can catch her can kill her.

As it happened there was no situation, and my second docking since arriving back in populated space saw me right on the centre first time in.

Eight hours later, I had sold all my data. My rank is now 'Pioneer'


My Imperial Clipper may look a little rough around the edges, but she is a fine exploration vessel and we shall be venturing out again in the not too distant future.


Commander Rikk, stocking up on coffee and ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment