Monday 4 May 2015

Earth-Like Grail

It was another Commander who, some months ago, reported back findings of an Earth like world with rings. Even before I fell into the trap of exploration I knew I wanted to see one, maybe even find one for myself.

I was three thousand, one hundred and eighty six systems into my voyage when my usual check of the system map yielded something.


Having had a couple of false starts with ringed water worlds it was with a combination of trepidation and excitement that I closed in on this little world. Hardly daring look down to the left of my screen as the scan completed, the polite ding from the ships computer was accompanied by those three divine words.

Earth-Like World

I was already moving closer to get a good look and I won't lie I was slightly disheartened to see it was a narrow ring a long way out. Still a beauty none the less, and clearly visible through the ring is the gas giant which shares the orbit.


For me, however, the real fun lies down there in the dust and rocks. This is why I was hoping for a metallic or icy ring because they just look better. Still, it's a view not many will have seen.


I particularly like how I was able to get the Magellan cloud into the frame, offsets then galactic plane well. I stuck around this tropical world for a while just taking in the view, but I had to move on.

So I bid this world goodbye and headed out. to see what else the journey held.


Surprisingly enough, for me, it was more earth-like worlds! Just a quick shot as I enter hyperspace from the last of five further terrestrial worlds in only a couple of hundred light years. Also, I never realised just how pretty hyperspace is when you are transitioning from normal space.


So that's it from me today. I am currently plotting a course back to civilisation, and hope to be home within a month.

Rikk, Signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment