Wednesday 27 January 2016

Be Right Back...

I decided to write a little about my distant worlds 'Be Right Back' story. There will be pictures further down.

My last two posts on the blog are a small rollercoaster in their own right. I made a last minute change to the Anaconda in one, and crashed it in the next. I didn't mention the fact that just before waypoint one I returned to civilisation because I had failed to notice a little bit of hull damage and couldn't bear setting out with it.

I was on nearly double distance by the time I reached waypoint 2. The journey to waypoint three was fairly quick and uneventful, almost tiring. She may have legs but the Anaconda is something of a slouch in supercruise, quite a tiresome slouch. And the seat is hard.

And when I arrived at the Omega nebula I parked up alongside six other Anacondas, just another wedge shaped boat that looks entirely boring in my photo diaries.

I realised I could not continue.

It was a 4800 light year trip back home, I set off immediately. 200 light years in I stopped to make a brew and reflect on my decision. The flew the remaining 4600 light years back home in a single session. I flew hard, I scooped fast, accidents happened but I didn't care. I was going home.

But this is not the end. I didn't give up, but I needed my comfy seat. She's like a good pair of trousers, others might be better in every way, but she just fits 'right'.

The following day I set out for Distant Worlds a third time in Alice. I had her painted a tactical version of my original mission colours, and set course back to Waypoint 3.


It may have been a longer 4800 light years to get back, she does after all have a single jump range that is 11 light years less, but that didn't matter.

With a 7A fuel scoop and a 16t tank I was filling up before the frameshift drive had cooled down. Turning to my new destination took no time at all. I was flying not enduring. I landed back at waypoint 3 later that evening.

It feels good to bring some Imperial Beauty to the distant worlds I am visiting.


And there is something else. I mentioned it earlier, and this photograph from the approach to the Omega nebula I believe represents exactly what I mean.

Deep space is beautiful. The Imperial Clipper 'fits' well.


I am happier than ever and each extra jump I have to do is a joy.

Being a Clipper pilot is more than just sitting at the controls. They become part of your soul. Alice is the first Clipper I bought, she has travelled a very long way already, she is home.

Rikk

No comments:

Post a Comment