Monday 18 January 2016

Quite possibly the first Distant Worlds casualty.

That's me.

I have travelled over 70,000 light years and seen thousands of solar systems. I have smuggled my way back and forth in alliance space. I have traded in pirate infested systems and fought my way through numerous interdictions.

Today, for the first time in over a year, I lost my ship.

I died to the most merciless of foes.

A planet.

The first planet in 46 Upsilon Sagittarii has a gravity of 3.91x what is found on Earth. This is fairly high, especially when you are not expecting it. The first bounce decimated my shields and left me at 53% hull. Then an oversight on my part saw me go from 6km and gaining altitude to seeing Lucretia hit the planet surface at over 600 meters per second.

It was a sad moment, recorded and catalogued by my cameras.

 

I have since returned to the system, and I set down without incident. So system in this galaxy will beat me. A minor setback, and one which taught me to respect my surroundings.

 
While we are here, a nice shot of the first waypoint, Shapely 1


A wise commander told me the most dangerous thing to happen to Explorers wout be the availability of the Planetary Approach Suites. Heed those words.

No comments:

Post a Comment